The Yard Store was started in 1946 in downtown Wichita, Kansas. The four acre facility was being used by Beech Aircraft to dispose of excess property following the end of World War II. Tools, aluminum, desks, tables, office furniture, life rafts, radial engines, propellers, hardware and anything else the factory had excess inventory of was sold. Many items were in a used condition although some unused items were sold. By the late 1960's all the aircraft specific parts including the propellers and engines were long sold. Today, we have an extensive inventory of new, surplus and used tools specific to aircraft sheet metal work and one of the largest inventories of usable aluminum in the world.
The same family that started The Yard in 1946 still owns and operates it today. Customer service issues are handled by people who have a stake in The Yard's reputation. Being owned by the same family for all these years means that we are now serving the fourth generation of the same families who shopped at The Yard when we opened.
"Aircraft tools at discount prices" is not just a slogan, but our goal everyday. At The Yard, we have been saving customer's money on their tool purchases since the day we opened and six day a week since.